This easy recipe takes scrambled eggs and turns them into a delicious any time of day meal with a bit of Spanish flair, but without any hustle and bustle.
Scrambled eggs are delicious, and in Britain we do them extremely well. They are a fantastic breakfast or brunch, and pretty much universally loved.
A lot of cultures have their own cracking take on scrambled eggs though, I’ve previously written about Kagianas from Greece, but the Spanish also have a brilliant way with their eggs.
This is another favourite meal for me, it’s a simple scrambled egg recipe – but with prawns, potatoes, carrots and spinach added in it’s truly a meal for any time of day.
What makes this scramble exciting?
The prawns in the dish combined with simple spices are what really lift the dish for me, adding a different dimension to a classic fry up or hash. You could easily add in some chorizo cubes, or a hit of chilli to change it up even more. Frying some chicken or tofu in the mix would also work pretty well.
Don’t forget to serve with some sauces – a chunky ketchup salsa or relish is my go to.
Spanish-inspired scrambled egg
- 100g prawns (cooked)
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium potato
- 2 medium carrots
- half red bell pepper
- 1 small handful of spinach leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs or oregano
- half tbsp olive oil
- An optional sprinkle of chilli to top at the end!
- Wash the potatoe thoroughly, then dice into 1cm cubes. Peel your carrots and dice them to a similar size. Also dice up your red pepper half.
- Add them all to a frying pan and sautee, along with the paprika, for 10-15 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- Add your prawns to the pan and cook through for 2-3 minutes to ensure properly heated up.
- Move your cooked ingredients to one side of the pan. Whisk your eggs quickly, then add to the empty half of your frying pan.
- Quickly add your herbs, then start moving the egg about to break it up and mix everything in the pan gently together.
- When almost done add your spinach leaves to the pan, and allow to wilt for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or pop in a lunchbox for a delicious, healthy and filling lunch!